4247 Gregory Street, Oakland
- 3 Beds
- 1 Bath
- 1217 Sq. Ft.
- 0.123967 Acres
- Family Room
In a time when life was a bit slower, and bigger wasn’t necessarily better, the Friedman family hired Herbert Johnson to design and Vanderbilt Family Builders to build 4247 Gregory Street. Kathleen Friedman has vivid memories of life growing up on Gregory; the dirt and gravel road had no sidewalks and was lined with tractors that reminded her and her brother of dinosaurs. On a good day, her homework was done so she tuned in for the Mickey Mouse Club on tv while mom made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Dessert was apple pie made with apples from the backyard. The neighborhood was explored, kids had competing lemonade stands made with homegrown lemons and life was really good when the family hopped into their 1950 Chevy to head to Tucker’s for chocolate ice cream.
The Gregory Street home served the Friedman family well. The milestones that were shared within the walls from childhood adventures at Leona Creek and mom bandaging scraped knees, to Kathleen looking at her wedding-gowned reflection in the old mirror that once hung over the fireplace. This last decade, Kathleen felt great warmth seeing her grown son Derek and his family live in the property after her mother passed away: her grandson, Matthew, (4th generation) was able to play with neighborhood kids and attended Redwood Heights Elementary school a few blocks away.
Before Kathleen could bring this home on the market, she knew she had to honor her mom and dad by polishing this 1952 classic in preparation for the next owner. She and her son, Ryan, decided to have the wall between the kitchen and dining room opened up to create an open concept living space. The kitchen and bathroom were remodeled and the floors were refinished to show their true beauty. Every tile and light was curated to create a happy modern space that gives a nod to its original construction.
Welcome Home to:
- Refinished hardwood floors
- New* interior and exterior paint
- New* interior light fixtures and recessed light (with the exception of older recessed lights in the kitchen)
- New* front door lock and handle
- New* front door knocker from Rejuvenation
- New* exterior house numbers
- New* cedar front fence, new concrete block, and river rock paths with the addition of perennial plants in the front yard
- Long tandem driveway for plenty of parking or hopscotch
- Large detached garage with keyless garage opener for parking, an artist studio, storage or more
- Fenced-in large backyard with magnolias, new raised garden bed filled with winter edibles and a mature apple tree
- Hidden reading and meditation area in the very back (shhh, don't tell anyone)
- Original blueprints
*New = 2017
- Agent Contacts
- Deidre Joyner | Email