Smart Phone Barcodes: Mobile Technology Has Exciting Future
In today's digital age, we want information at the tip of our fingers at all times. We want answers NOW, and we can easily get them from our smart phones
This instantaneous response that we get from the internet is what print media seems to be lacking... that is, until the birth of QR Codes or Quick Response Codes. QR codes are two-dimensional bar codes that bridge paper-to-web instantly. The funky pattern of black dots and squares (to the left) is what a QR code looks like. It is a technology already widely used in Japan and some European countries but, is still (so far) underutilized here in the U.S.
What do these codes do? Most smart phones today have the capability to scan bar codes like these as long as they have a camera. Once you scan the bar code, you instantly are linked to a website without even typing anything on your smart phone (typing those URLs on tiny smart phones isn't easy!).
Ok, it's more impressive when you actually test it yourself. Below are tips for the iPhone and Blackberry:
If you have an iPhone
- You must download a bar code scanner. There are several FREE apps that will do the job. The one I've had the most success with is the I-nigma App. You can search "i-nigma" in your App Store and download it.
- Once you've downloaded the app, open it and click "Scan Bar Code"
- Steadily hover your iPhone over the bar code as if taking a photo and instantly, you will see that it will ask you if you want to open the link.
If you have a Blackberry
- Download the Blackberry Messenger (BBM) by going to www.blackberry.com/messenger on your phone's browser. You will need to have version 5.0 or higher.
- Once download is complete, open the app, click your menu button, and find "Scan Group Barcode".
- Steadily hover your Blackberry over the bar code and wait until a bit while it focuses. Once it's ready, you will be led to the link that the bar code offers!!
You will be amazed at the speed and effectiveness of these bar codes!
Article originally appeared on Partners Trust Blog