Visiting Mykonos: 5 Incredible Greek Sites You Have to See
When on the island of Mykonos, aside from relaxing on its beautiful one-of-a-kind beaches, be sure to check out some of the amazing sites.
Mykonos, Greece offers some incredible historic sites as well as some breathtaking vistas and photo opportunities. We've put together a short list of five things, among the many, that this Greek Isle has to offer. We hope you enjoy, and be sure to let us know if we've left out any of your favorites:
- Little Venice – This bustling collection of shops, restaurants, and clubs is said to have been where early ship captains decided to settle down and build homes overlooking the sea. Now transformed into a lively hotspot, this incredible cluster of villas looks out at some of the world's most stunning sunsets.
- Matoyianni Street – At the heart of the town, this maze of shops, restaurants, churches, and more is a favorite. Giving any wanderer the true feeling of market lifestyle and maze-like white stucco walkways to incredible hidden gems, this section of town is great for any traveler. Locals like it, too, but don't expect to remember where you went the next day. This labyrinth has that effect on most people.
- Castle Panigirakis – The ideal vantage point for the dreamer in you. A blissful retreat to spend the afternoon in the swift breezes of the Aegean Sea, with the island's wildflowers wafting past you. A great place to snap some photos or have a picnic, here you will not be disappointed.
- The Windmills (Kato Myli) – These mills, overlooking Little Venice are historical artifacts, dating back to the 16th Century. With spectacular views of the island and Chora in the distance, these were once used to grind grain in a simpler time. A great way to pay homage to those who paved the path for us, in a different era, and get some amazing photos.
- Paraportiani Church – An active place of worship, this church dates back to the Byzantine Era. Beautifully white-washed, the walls of this church will gleam in the sun, and its shapely silhouette will accent any sunset. With great views from most places, this site is free to explore. A true gem.
Have you been to any of these incredible Mykonos sites? What other parts of the island should we explore?